Military: Military Family Nights
Family communication and structure is strained with each deployment. The Military Family Nights series is based on the Strengthening Families Program in which families practice communication skills, family meetings, effective discipline, therapeutic child play, reinforcing positive behaviors in each other and jointly planning family activities. The program assists parents in effectively communicating with each other and in achieving desired behaviors in children by using attention and rewards, clear communication, effective discipline, substance use education, problem solving, and limit setting. Children learn stress management, social skills, problem solving, resisting peer pressure, consequences of substance use, compliance with parental rules and to understand feelings and cope with anger.
Military Family Night program is:
- For Military families: pre-deployed, deployed or post-deployed
- Based on the nationally researched program, Strengthening Families
- For Families with children 6 – 11 years old: Fourteen session program
- For Families with children 10 – 14 years old: Seven session program
- Program is Free of Charge
- Family Dinner at each session
- Gifts for participating
- Babysitting services available for children to young to participate in the program
- Skill Building sessions for parents and youth
- Family Activities each session
This project is funded by the New Jersey Department of Human Services, Division of Mental Health Addiction Services and is being coordinated by the New Jersey Prevention Network and its member agencies in cooperation with the NJ National Guard’s Family Assistance Centers.For more information or to find the statewide program location nearest to you, please call Lisa at 732-367-0611 ext.2309 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.