top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. What is a CADC and LCADC?

A. CADC stands for Certified Drug & Alcohol Counselor. LCADC stands for Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor. CADCs and LCADCs help individuals recover from addiction by providing treatment, support and motivation along their journey toward sobriety through a licensed substance abuse treatment agency or private practice.

Q. Is NJPN’s application the same as the application for becoming a CADC/LCADC?
A. No. The NJPN application is only an application for scholarship into the CADC training program. To apply for a CADC/LCADC please access the application via:

Q. I have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, and some of my courses covered the same coursework as the CADC/LCADC education. Do I have to take those courses all over again?

A. If you received your alcohol and drug-related or counseling-related education from a regionally-accredited college or university, regardless of how long ago it was, you might not have to take all of the 45 courses. The agency that makes that determination is the Certification Board. Obtain a sealed copy of your transcript, and download the review form you will need to fill out from

Q. Where can I find out about internships or jobs within the field if I’m not currently working at a treatment facility?

A. Internships can help you get the work experience you need to obtain a paying job in the field. And they can help you gain needed experience hours towards becoming a CADC/LCADC. Download our Internship Application if you would like to be considered for one of the internships available throughout the state.

You can view a list of licensed treatment agencies in New Jersey by visiting

CPS Process

Q. What is a CPS?

A. CPS stands for Certified Prevention Specialist. A CPS is an individual who provides alcohol, tobacco and drug prevention education and services that build the capacity of individuals and systems to promote healthy environments, lifestyles, and communities.

Q. How can I apply to become a CPS?

A. Visit the Certification Board’s website at and download the CPS application. This will give you more information about the educational requirements and work experience required to become a Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS).

Q. What are the eligibility requirements for CPS scholarship through NJPN?

A. In order to receive a scholarship for the CPS program you must hold a minimum of a Bachelor degree in a Human Services related field. You must work for a DMHAS licensed prevention agency, or be part of a NJ municipal alliance. You must have an approved CPS supervisor to oversee your 4,000 work experience hours

Q. If I am approved, how does the scholarship program work?

A. Once approved you can request scholarships to attend CPS courses in approved CPS provider agencies that offer CPS courses in NJ. When a student registers for a course, they must inform the provider that they have a scholarship code.

Q. The CPS scholarship Application says NJPN will be following up with me to monitor my progress towards becoming a CPS. Why?

A. The goal of this scholarship program is to increase the number of Certified Prevention Specialists in New Jersey.  NJPN will periodically contact all scholarship recipients to verify progress toward completing all CPS classes and report to overall outcomes such as completing the written exam. This report is for the NJ DMHAS providing funding for scholarship receipients.

Q. Does CADCA’s National Coalition Academy courses count toward CPS?

A. Yes, successful completion of the full 3-week National Coalition Academy will cover an APS, which is ½ way to a CPS.  The CADCA Academy covers 60 hours for initial Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS) credit specifically for the following 10 courses:

P101: Prevention Program Planning and Assessment, P301: Community Assessment, P401: Introduction to Methods and the Impact of Environmental Change

P102: Prevention Activities and Methods, P302: Coalition Building and Maintenance, P402: Assessment and Planning of Environmental Strategies

P103: Program Design, P303: Coordinating Community Prevention Activities, P403: Implementation & Enforcement of Environmental Change Strategies

P104: Evidence Based Prevention Models

Therefore, if one has officially completed the CADCA National Coalition Academy they do not need to take the 10 courses listed above. Attach the official CADCA graduation certificate to the APS or CPS application when ready to apply.

Q: Are there Study Guides for the CPS Test?

A: CPS Exam Preparation Study guides are available for the prevention specialist examination:

  • Candidate Guides are available for all exams and include the domains and tasks for each domain, sample exam questions and a list of references free of charge. They can be downloaded from IC&RC’s website:

  • Tennessee Prevention Study Guide – contact IC&RC for a free copy. EMAIL:

bottom of page