Scholarships for Becoming a Certified Prevention Specialists
The Certified Prevention Specialist is an individual who has demonstrated competence related to alcohol, tobacco and drug prevention and who provides services that build the capacity of individuals and systems to promote healthy environments, lifestyles, and communities.The Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) Addiction Training and Workforce Development Program was created to enhance and diversify New Jersey’s addiction workforce. One of the goals of the program is to increase credentialed professional staff employed at substance abuse prevention agencies by offering Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS) training opportunities. Class size is limited, and eligibility for the program is based on the following criteria:
- Priority will be given to individuals working towards completion of their CPS.
- Individuals accumulating work or volunteer experience in the field of substance abuse prevention.
- After completing coursework, individuals agree to take the additional steps to become certified, which include successfully completing a written exam.
- Participation and progress in training will be documented by each scholarship recipient as well as NJPN (based on information provided by the student.)
- Scholarship recipients must have their supervisors’ approval to attend courses and agree that NJPN may communicate with their agency regarding their progress towards certification.
- Scholarship recipients will give NJPN the authority to access the results of the CPS written exam in order to monitor progress towards certification.
- Scholarship recipients will be eligible for a limited number of free classes, based on funds available and the demand for scholarships.
Organizations that are participating in our scholarship program:
Once you are approved for a scholarship, you may contact these organizations to find out about CPS classes they currently offer.
NCADD of Middlesex County, 152 Tices Lane, East Brunswick
Center for Prevention & Counseling, 61 Spring Street, Newton
Apply for a scholarship today
To qualify to attend free trainings at any of these locations, please download the form below and fax it to NJPN at the number listed on the application. We will contact you once your application has been reviewed and we have determined your eligibility for the program.
Looking for more information? Review our Frequently Asked Questions.